When the heat and humidity is high, it can seem like the stream of mosquitoes trying to attack you and your kiddos is endless—but that does not have to put a damper on your summer fun!
With the right mosquito prevention strategies, families can enjoy their time outdoors without worrying about being plagued with itchy bites for days afterward. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga offers some insight on the topic.
What Are Some Ways to Prevent Mosquito Bites Without Repellent?
One of the best ways to prevent mosquito bites is by simply reducing their opportunity to bite in the first place. By avoiding being out at mosquitoes’ favorite times, you will reduce the number of mosquitoes you will encounter.
But there are also other steps you can take to prevent bites.
Ways to Prevent Mosquito Bites
- Empty any kiddie pools trash cans, planters and yard toys that may collect water.
- Wear light colors to be less attractive.
- Use an insect net around outdoor spaces.
- Keep air circulating in outdoor areas with fans.
What Are Options for Natural Mosquito Bite Repellents?
While there are guidelines for how to use DEET-based mosquito bite repellents on children of all ages, many parents are still hesitant because of what a strong chemical DEET is known to be.
If you would like a more natural solution, there are several options to choose from.
Natural Mosquito Solutions
- Sprays containing up to 20% picaridin/icaridin are a popular DEET alternative
- Sprays with 10% oil of lemon eucalyptus are approved for children over three years old up to twice per day
- Repellents made with essential oils from citronella, cedar, eucalyptus and soybean
If your child has a rash or other concerning symptoms, we are always here to take a look at them! Contact us to schedule an AFC TeleCare appointment with the AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga team today.