Why Do So Many Kids Get Sick Once School Starts Back? It never fails—a few weeks into the school year and all of a sudden there is sneezing and coughing galore! Why is this? Because our children are now in close quarters with other children, they are more easily able to pass viruses, bacteria and other germs to each other. That makes healthy habits even more important. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be difficult to promote healthy lifestyle habits in your kids.
Healthy Habits for Kids
- Wash hands regularly using soap and water.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when water is not available.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Find healthy ways to manage stress, including plenty of playtime.
- Be physically active.
- Eat a healthy diet.
How Can I Encourage My Kids to Eat Healthy?Model the positive behavior you want to see in them! Start every day off with a healthy breakfast that contains a good balance of healthy carbs, lean protein and a small amount of healthy fat. Why that combo? Because it’s been shown to help keep a person full longer, while also keeping energy levels high and brainpower boosted.
Kid-Friendly Breakfast Ideas
- Ham and cheese scones
- Apples or celery with peanut butter
- Scrambled eggs with fruit
- Oatmeal with a dab of nut butter