<![CDATA[It seems like summer goes by in a flash these days, with school starting back up before we can believe it! But there are still a few more weeks of delightful summer weather to soak up. Our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga wants to help you enjoy the summer the safe way. Read on for a few tips!
How Can I Keep the Kids Safe When Swimming?Summer and swimming go together like peanut butter and jelly! So it’s natural for your kids to want to hit the pool or lake when the weather is warm and sunny. But before they head out to swim, it’s important to bone up on swimming safety and what precautions you need to take.
Swimming Safety Basics
- An adult should always supervise children when swimming.
- An adult who is a strong swimmer should be at arm’s length away from young children and poor swimmers at all times.
- Pools should be surrounded by locked fences that are at least 5 feet high and inaccessible to children.
- Enforce the rule that no one is allowed to run around the pool area.
- Remember that floatation devices are not foolproof.
How Do I Know I Have Food Poisoning?When you’re out at the pool, it may be tempting to take along a picnic lunch or to grill out. But summer heat presents a challenge to food safety, since food can quickly spoil when outdoors. You’ll want to be especially careful when preparing or storing food while outside.
Ways to Prevent Food Poisoning
- Wash your hands before touching food.
- Wash worktops and dishcloths.
- Keep raw meat separate from cooked meat and other foods.
- Cool leftovers quickly and store them away.
- Cook food thoroughly.