OK, we’re more than halfway through the year, so it’s a good time to check in. If you set health goals in January, where do things stand in August?
If you haven’t made the improvements you were looking for, you still have time! Let our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga offer some tips on how to do just that.
Why Is It Important to Have Healthy Habits?
It’s pretty simple, actually. Your risk of developing most serious medical conditions increases when you’re sedentary, when you eat a poor diet, when you smoke or when you’re overweight.
Healthy habits, then, help protect your health and make you less likely to develop a chronic medical condition. Don’t think that healthy habits have to be overwhelming, either—take them in bitesize chunks for best results!
Habits That Promote Good Health
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week.
- Eat a balanced diet, including fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Limit your alcohol consumption to one drink per day for women and two for men.
- Don’t smoke.
- Get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.
How Can I Get the Sleep I Need?
One of the most important things you can do for your health is to prioritize sleep. Not getting enough quality sleep can negatively impact every aspect of your health, including both your physical and mental health.
Put your sleep in a place of importance by setting up a good sleep hygiene routine.
Sleep Hygiene Basics
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark.
- Minimize the use of electronics in the bedroom to avoid blue light exposure.
- Set up a calming bedtime routine, like reading or taking a bath.
- Create and maintain a consistent bedtime and wake time.
Not feeling your best? Schedule an AFC TeleCare appointment with AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga to get the care you need from the comfort of home.