Yes! The answer is absolutely yes.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that nearly everyone age 6 months and older be vaccinated against the flu each year. That’s an important way to protect your health in any year, but it’s especially important this year.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga gives you the scoop.
Does a Flu Shot Really Help?
There is no foolproof way to avoid getting the flu. But your best defense is to be vaccinated against the flu on an annual basis.
When you’re vaccinated, even if you get the flu, your case of the flu will likely be less severe and shorter in length because your body has built up antibodies against the flu. The flu shot is an easy way you can boost your immune system’s defenses against this common winter illness.
Benefits of the Flu Vaccine
- Prevents flu-related illness and doctor’s visits
- Limits the number of hospitalizations for kids, adults and seniors
- Can help lower the risk of a cardiac event
- Can reduce the risk of being hospitalized for a lung health issue
- Helps protect women and babies during and after pregnancy
Why Do I Need a Flu Shot This Year?
Flu season typically begins in November and lasts until March or April, peaking in the first months of the new year. With COVID-19 still lingering and spreading in our community, there’s a high risk that it will still be present during the same time period.
That could lead to a burden on our medical system as people seek medical care for two conditions that have many overlapping symptoms. Getting your flu shot this fall can help strengthen your immune system and help you fend off illness, keeping you out of the hospital.
Other Ways to Prevent Illness
- Wash your hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds.
- Regularly disinfect commonly touched surfaces and objects.
- Wear a face mask when in close contact with others outside the home.
- Steer clear of people who may be sick.
- Don’t go to school or work if you are sick.
AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga is your one-stop-shop for your flu vaccination needs! Stop by or schedule an appointment at your convenience.