Who doesn’t love a good cup of coffee when it gets cold out? Healthy, warm drinks can be a great way to boost your energy and make you feel comforted.
If you are under the weather, the warmth of the liquid can loosen mucus and soothe sore throats. It’s a sneaky way to stay hydrated too!
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga discusses some great warm beverage options for your health.
Is Coffee the Only Healthy Warm Drink Option?
As the weather gets cooler, you may find yourself reaching for that second or third cup of coffee to stay warm.
While coffee is not always a bad choice and may be a good one when consumed in moderation, there are some other great warm beverage options that could be beneficial to your health that we’ve listed below.
Some Healthy Coffee Alternatives
- Warm tea has antioxidants that can protect against cancer, diseases and memory decline. It can also aid in weight loss.
- Herbal teas or infusions can have some health benefits but make sure you discuss them with your doctor.
- Hot cocoa may actually reduce blood pressure and the risk of stroke! Consume hot cocoa in moderation, though, because hot cocoa can have lots of sugar and lead to weight gain.
- Hot water with lemon is immune-boosting and aids the digestive system.
Can Coffee and Other Warm Drinks Improve my Gut Health?
Many of the drinks listed above not only have the benefits listed but can also aid in digestion and improve gut health.
Peppermint tea, ginger tea and green tea are specifically recommended by experts due to their positive effects on the digestive system. The warm temperature of any beverage actually widens blood vessels in the digestive system, which increases blood flow and activity.
More Benefits of Warm Drinks
- Feeling fuller, leading to less overeating
- Increased hydration
- Prevents constipation by keeping the digestive system moving
Warm beverages may help boost your health this season! But if you do find yourself under the weather, our team at AFC Urgent Care Chattanooga is here for you. Walk in today!